Monday, June 2, 2014

Homeschool Picnic, 2014

Late morning of Monday, May 26, found our church flocking to the bandshell park in Griswold for our annual Homeschool Picnic and ball game.

We were delayed because of weather. We were originally going to the Stanton ball park, but something came up so we couldn't go there. After a series of phone calls, we learned that the Griswold ball diamond was open. So, we ended up at the bandshell park, then went to the ball park later.

Thank you to all those who took pictures for me! You did a fantastic job! :)

Matthias, the bike repair man.

Setting up the food table

Katelynna wouldn't walk! She'd take a couple steps, then sit down. Stinker! We know you can walk just fine!

Watching the basket ball game

:)

It took three guys to move the food table!

Basketball in the rain!

Lynna was excited about her left over birthday cupcakes!

Riding bikes in the rain is lots of fun!

Gathering for lunch

After lunch, we had a fun game of four square, which eventually morphed into nine square.



Because of the recent rains, there was a good sized puddle on the floor of the bandshell. Everybody had fun splashing in it as we waited in line. :)





Nate had some relay races planned for everybody.





The first one was the cracker relay. KK and I were the first ones up.

You had to run up, eat two crackers (big boys had to eat three to four!), whistle, or snap your fingers if you couldn't whistle, then run back. 

I was already thirsty when I started, then I made the mistake of stuffing both crackers in at once. BIG mistake! My mouth was so dry I couldn't even chew... So, I guess I cheated and snapped my fingers, 'cause I can whistle. :) 



Keep 'em in bay! 



Next relay, we each got a spoon and had to carry a jelly bean back to our team on it.

Handing out the spoons





Timmy kept dropping his.

Marcus kept dropping his too. :)

Run!





The spectators

The next race was called the "Lilly pad relay."

Like Annetta said on her blog post, it's pretty difficult to understand... :)











KK, Joel, Simon and Marcus cheated by carrying each other...



The mature ones... :)

KK rode this little tiny bike to the ball diamond.







Daddy, our pitching legend.





Outfielders

Farmer John :)









Josh could whack that ball out there!

Best friends







Cool Joel :)





The little girls had such fun in that Jolly Jolopy!





Safe!



"GrammaBelle"





Go, Jonathan!

The Peanut Gallery



Little baby bumpkin



After the ball game, we gathered back at the bandshell park to eat up the left overs.

The little girls were fascinated with Gram's dog Kelsey. I'm not sure if the feelings were mutual... :)

Poor Loui got clocked in the noggin by a softball that went awry. KK also got beaned right in the eye by a ball. Ouch!

A tired bunch of girls



Rhoda kept scooting her chair closer and closer to Gram. :)



A poor neglected baby doll





Lois asked her mom to bring her a plate of food. So, she did! :)



I don't know how those guys can have so much energy!

Cheese ball

The two slowest eaters :)

Action shot

The children scattered to various places for lunch

Chupps brought hot water for hand washing.









Amy loved this little chair!

Nate planted himself on this little scooter for the hymn sing. :)





Some of my favorite people!

This was Jason's seat.

Pretty soon, I had to warn Nate of imminent disaster... :)

Caleb and Rhoda were pretty wore out, I guess.

I got a couple really cute pictures of Michael.





Poor Joel was right in the middle of bass neighborhood.

Shooting hoops again

Everybody pitched in to clean up.



Ben kept splashing me with that water jug. When I finished wiping the table, I went after him, whipping him with my dirty cloth. :)

Jason, the garbage man





There was a big log on the pavilion roof so the boys tried to lasso it off.

All clean!

Since the lasso didn't work, Ben gave Nate a hand up to the roof.

Down it comes!





"Brightly beams our Father's mercies..."

Playing jump rope

Of course, they had to see how many of them could jump at once. :)



There they go!

So ends a very fun filled day- a day of knitting hearts even closer. Those days tend to do that, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trying to Catch Up...

As you have probably noticed, I've gone off the radar for awhile. Ok, for a long time. I have one word for you. Life. Guys, life reall...