Thursday, January 26, 2017

The Sands of Time

Why does it seem that, the older one gets, the faster time flies?

My wise mother advised me to enjoy my childhood while I could. The cares of grownup life would creep up all too quickly. Seriously? As a child, life seemed to stretch endlessly before me. Now, with my 25th birthday behind me, I look back and wonder where time has flown. Wasn't it just last year that I was a carefree, frizzy headed, sloppy 12 year old?

Psychologists claim that the reason life picks up the pace the older one gets is due to "firsts." As a child, life is measured by "firsts" (first steps, first day of school, first time driving, etc).

With each passing year, life begins to blend into one, busy, monotonous blur. The "firsts" get fewer and farther between, causing life to flash by like greased lightning.

This leads me to wonder, what am I doing with my life? With this God-given life? This blip of time that I'm on earth is really God's time, not "mine." Do I live everyday, every moment for His glory? Do I do what I do for Him alone?

The turn of the old year into the new is a time of retrospection, a time of self analysis. Self analysis is good, but too much of it can lead to an introverted, self-conscious, guilt laden individual. One must open one's heart to God's deep cleaning, take every spiritual spanking seriously, every victory joyously, all while keeping one's gaze fixed on the One that matters. I only have one life to live and I want to live it all for Jesus. With how fast the past ten years have gone by, I want to live every moment without regrets. I want to live, breath, speak, and think Jesus.

With each year that whizzes by, I pray that in the end, I will hear those all-fulfilling words spoken by my Jesus, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant."





2 comments:

  1. Good post, Emmie! It kind of falls along the same lines of what I've been thinking about lately. It's just about unbelievable time is flying, and especially 2016! That year went by faster than I knew a year could go by... and more life-changing events took place that I knew could happen in such a short time! I have only one year left in my teen years, and I often wonder what really did I accomplish in my teen years that'll be worth it in eternity?...
    Keep serving God! Love you! Annetta

    ReplyDelete

Trying to Catch Up...

As you have probably noticed, I've gone off the radar for awhile. Ok, for a long time. I have one word for you. Life. Guys, life reall...