Monday, December 9, 2013

Frozen in Time ~ Forgotten Iowa, House #2

This house was literally frozen in time; as if the family just walked away. As I walked from room to room, feelings akin to intrusion came over me. Someone lived, worked, loved and grieved in these very rooms. Now, the house is in a state of sad decay and neglect, but the presence of the previous occupants lingers on through the last remains of their domestic lives.



This big mudroom was probably the joy of some farm wife's heart!

The ransacked 60s style kitchen.

This bunny whispers of children or grandchildren.

The living room was rotting badly.



The lonely chair





Water damage

Think of the years of DNA that have been absorbed into this door!

The tiny "water closet."

Curving staircase

The debris from the falling ceiling made it very hard to get up the stairs.

Small bedroom upstairs

Ghosts of the past

This was a very small room off to the side.

This wallpaper must have kept the dark stairwell bright all year 'round!

The the summer residents. :)

At first, I wasn't sure what all this brown stuff was on the counter. On closer examination, I found it to be spilt coffee grounds. Thinking of it now, I wish I'd checked the expiration date on the can.

A full jar of peanut butter. :)

The basement was only accessible from outside. I think the others went down, but I didn't. 

This shed was right out the back door.



We discovered this gruesome display of some creep's macabre sense of humor...

Movie night anyone? Count me out!

Ben kept getting in my pictures. I either retook most of them, or cropped him out. :) This was a corn crib.

Coon skull?



Looking up in the corn crib.

Exploring old barns gives one a glimpse into a farmer's daily life.

From the looks of things, this used to be a dairy barn.

I'm guessing this is the milking parlor.

I've seen this open style barn at one other place before. It was prob'ly a very practical layout.

Twisted baling twine hung from the loft.

The cows' "living quarters." Abi counted about 19 stalls.

I didn't go out to this building, but Abi and the boys said it wasn't worth it to fight through the weeds. So, I took their word for it. :)

Good bye, nostalgia!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trying to Catch Up...

As you have probably noticed, I've gone off the radar for awhile. Ok, for a long time. I have one word for you. Life. Guys, life reall...